Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What's For Dinner? Seared Wasabi Glazed Salmon


I've used this Salmon recipe for years that I got from Sunset 2004.  


We all know we're supposed to eat more fish to get those essential fatty acids into our diet.   Here's some more info. on why essential fatty acids are important to the body. 

Most of you have probably heard why you want to choose wild salmon over farm raised, but if you haven't read this great article, Seven Reasons to Avoid Farm Raised Salmon.  
 Get Off The Farm And Go WILD!

I love the mango sauce the recipe calls for drizzled over the salmon.
It's nice because you can make it ahead of time and heat it in the microwave right before serving.

I quickly heat chopped mango with a little sesame oil.


Put it in a food processor or blender and add the vinegar and white wine.
Sometimes if it taste a little too tart I add a little honey to sweeten it up.


Blend till smooth


I put it in a gravy boat and serve it with the meal so everyone can add extra to their fish it's so goood!


I make a few modifications to the recipe. 
1) The recipe calls for wasabi powder, you can also use wasabi paste, no biggie.



2)  THE BEST change I made is to mix the wasabi paste and the honey with a half a stick of melted butter because the salmon came out to dry when I followed the recipe directions.  Just brush it on while it's cooking.   
You could also substitute the butter for coconut oil if you want to make it healthier.  

3)  I cook the salmon on the grill instead of the oven.  I just prefer grilled fish to oven baked fish.
Medium heat for about ten minutes, skin side down.


4)  The recipe calls for black rice, but I usually just use brown.

I love the warm spice of the wasabi glaze combined with the tart sweet mango sauce.
my family loves it too and it's good enough to serve to special guest. 




Go here for the recipe.

Thanks for checking it out.


2 comments:

  1. Dinner looks delicious, Shannon. We're having salmon for dinner tonight. I wish I wasn't feeling so lazy otherwise I'd make a run to the grocery store for the ingredients to make your glaze. My husband loves wasabi. Definitely saving this recipe for later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful piece of salmon! Now you made me hungry for it... Looks like its going to be on the menu soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...